Now you may be asking ‘So what does a project entail?’
Some of the requirements that you commit to when undertaking a soil carbon project are:
- The project is for 25 years with soil carbon measurement taken approximately every 5 years.
- Reporting throughout the project is critical. Reports are submitted every 5 years or at the end of a reporting period, however, livestock figures, fertiliser, lime and tillage all need to be recorded for each year of the project as well as the 5 years prior to the start date.
- The project area or Carbon Estimation Area (CEA) is permeant pasture/pasture cropping and is grazed throughout the project. Seasonal cropping is restricted in the current method but enterprise flexibility is likely to be included with the new iteration of the method.
- Fertilisers and other soil amendments are either restricted or have strong reporting requirement that need to be met.
- Woody vegetation must not be cleared from the project area unless it is an invasive weed or a project management action. Further details on this point may need to be clarified to ensure restrictions are not triggered or inhibit the carbon project.
Carbon Link follows the key steps to ensure that you capture the full benefits of conducting a soil carbon project and meet the requirements of the method. The first step of this process is Discovery.
This is a fundamental step, and ensures you can make an informed decision about participating in the carbon market. Essential in the success of a project, the report outlines the legal and production requirements along with any restrictions that relate to your business and project. Simply put, Discovery is setting you up for success.
We look at all aspects of your business and tailor a plan that seamlessly integrates with your current management while maximising the benefits that can be captured. With key industry partnerships Carbon Link can also provide end to end services and advice no matter what stage your project is at.
So, I encourage you to explore your options of Discovery today. I am proud to be part of the Carbon Link team and would love to speak to you about improving your soil health while participating in this active market.
Article by Sam Anderson
Carbon Link Operations
Mobile: 0439 655 114
Phone: 07 4939 5149